Please click on the HOME page to donate to this worthy cause.
The Books for Refugees project began as a very small book project in early 2016, but it has become more extensive, thanks to the donations from many generous people throughout the world.
This is how it began:
After visiting several refugee camps in Holland during the fall of 2015, I realized quickly that I needed to help. I learned that the Syrian Refugees are given a 3-5 year asylum status. If the war in Syria ends and it is safe and appropriate for the refugees to return, they will return to help rebuild their country. It is critical for the children to be able to return to Syria, educated and literate in their Mother Tongue.
I searched for Arabic children’s books on publishing sites, such as Amazon.co.UK, and NOORArt.com and began to make connections with people and agencies who furnished me with locations of schools, and camps that were desperate for books for the children.
This is how it works:
- With the help of friends (and their friends) all over the world, I receive donations.
- The donations go into a special fund exclusively for the Books for Refugees project. Every dollar of the donations goes to the project. There are no overhead costs.
- Humanitarian groups throughout the United States and Europe contact me about the projects they are doing that are related to the education of the refugee children. I also reach out to people who are doing projects and who are volunteering in camp schools.
- I order high quality Arabic children’s books (many are Arabic versions of award-winning books published in the U.S.), and I have the books sent directly to the facilities or to friends who volunteer to deliver the books to the facilities.
- The volunteers send photos of the children with the books.
It is an extremely simple process, streamlined to ensure that books get into the hands of refugee children as quickly as possible.
Small donations of $5 are welcome and appreciated! Five dollars will fund a book for a refugee child.
Parents: Can you imagine not having some books to read to your children? Imagine if your children went to school and there were no books to read? Books are desperately needed and desired by refugee families and volunteer teachers. It ONLY takes a minute. You will feel great knowing you have contributed to a child’s academic and emotional health.
One book. One child. One future.
Want to help? It’s fast and easy. You can donate money. See the Home page to find the link to DONATE.
Unlike procedures for giving donations to large charitable organizations where only a percentage of the donations go to the cause, every dollar you donate goes 100% to the purchase and shipping of Arabic children’s books. There are no overhead costs.